Our Urban Tails program is a fun way to get our dogs out to enjoy the world while they’re waiting for their forever homes! Volunteers take dogs on an outing, away from the shelter, for up to two hours.
Not only does Urban Tails provide much needed exercise for the shelter dogs, it also serves as a great source of information for the staff and volunteers who will be speaking with potential adopters. After each outing, Urban Tails volunteers record feedback on a prepared form, noting things like the dog’s reaction to the car ride, how they handled bicycles and distractions, and other items of interest. This information will help staff members make successful matches between dogs and potential adopters.
To participate in our Urban Tails program, volunteers follow these steps:
- Attend a volunteer orientation
- Complete three hours of our basic service assignments
- Attend Pooch Essentials Class
- Attend Canine Body Language Class
- Email volunteer[at]ashevillehumane[dot]org to set up an Urban Tails orientation before your first outing.