*For the health and safety of our staff and the community, we are not allowing Community Service volunteers at this time. Thank you for your understanding.*
Court-Ordered Community Service – The Buncombe County Animal Shelter offers the opportunity to complete court-ordered community service. Community service includes tasks such as sweeping, mopping, washing windows, folding laundry, washing dishes, etc. If you are interested in completing your court-ordered community service with the Buncombe County Animal Shelter, please contact Animal Care Manager, Heather Kelly, at hkelly[at]ashevillehumane[dot]org.
- Please note, you must be at least 18 years old.
- A copy of orders from a court official or attorney listing charges and how many hours needed is required prior to beginning service.
- People completing court-ordered community service are not permitted to have contact with the animals and are required to comply with dress code (no shorts, tank tops, or sandals).
School-Required Service Hours – At Asheville Humane, we have many students who complete their school’s service hour requirements by volunteering to help the animals! Students interested in volunteering with AHS first attend one of our Volunteer and Foster Information Sessions. For more information or to reserve your spot, please read the Volunteer Program page of our website here, https://ashevillehumane.org/volunteer carefully.
- Please note that all students under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian while volunteering. 16 and 17 year old students who are participating in our internship program may have this age requirement waived with parental permission and approval by the Volunteer Manager.
- If you have service requirements that are due sooner than you’re able to attend a Volunteer and Foster Information Session, we do have a drop-in volunteer opportunity in our Adoption Center lobby. Stop in anytime during our open hours to use our Creation Station to create toys for the shelter animals and we’ll happily sign off on the hours you work! All supplies and instructions are at the station. **Please note that this option is not currently available due to COVID-19**
Mentors – We are able to occasionally mentor senior projects. If a mentor is being requested, we ask that the student email volunteer[at]ashevillehumane[dot]org with a full explanation of the project and exactly what they would require from a mentor. The more detailed the information is, the more likely we will be able to accommodate the student.
Internships – We have the ability to host volunteer interns who are interested in gaining work experience in animal welfare. Interns age 16 and up learn a wide variety of job skills including customer service, office administration, sanitation practices, and more. Due to the training required, we ask for a commitment of at least 10 hours per week for the duration of the internship. Email volunteer[at]ashevillehumane[dot]org with questions.
Current Internship Opportunities:
- Thrift Store Intern - this volunteer intern will take an active role in the operation of our thrift store. Opportunities for skill development include customer service, merchandising, social media marketing, and donor relations.